Tuesday 19 June 2012

Thing Seven

Thing seven: the real world

Some years back I joined CILIP and looked into certification. It was just starting out and sadly I had to give it up because my then manager who was involved with CILIP left and I couldn't get anyone else interested in my doing the work to assemble the portfolio. I did enjoy reading the journal that came with my annual subscription, but when it became apparent that a combination of things meant that certification was not realistic, I dropped it.
Eventually I was able to get the NVQ level 3 qualification in LIS.

The question of back-up and networking is essential to any sort of CPD at any level, especially at non-qualified levels. There does appear to be much more organisation available these days, not least this one, of course, which is a very good thing.

However, I am the standard-issue library introvert and find real life social gatherings a trial. I am useless at networking, hopeless at small talk and not tactful with people I am not connecting with.

There actually was a meet-up in Cardiff (where I live) for this group. My guilty conscience said "go, you must get involved" etc, etc. But then I thought, I am middle-aged,frumpy, boring female, aforementioned introvert and I completely bottled it.

I have read several things that suggest being introverted is actually useful, and a bit 'sexy' now, at least with those of us involved. This has not trickled down to my own behaviour, I find a lot of people all together a bit of a trial. And I am not sure how to get around that particular hurdle.

I read with interest what Joeyanne Libraryanne - excellent clever name by the way, I am very jealous - has to say about this. Perhaps I can get a strategy from these sorts of books like 'Quiet, the power of introverts ...' by Susan Caine. Up to now I have taken the Popeye option*, should I be facing the fear and doing it anyway? As they say?

* I yam whats  I ams, an  dat's all I yams - or some such.

Postscript
OMG! I just realised that indeed I am part of a real thing, I have been to some of the CLIC (which is Cardiff Libraries in Collaboration) events and enjoyed them a lot! Not such a shrinking violet after all, I will have to reconsider my position.

No comments:

Post a Comment