Wednesday 26 September 2012

thing eleven, mentoring.

I work in a small library and contact with the qualified librarian is not a daily occurrence. however, I am aware from jobs in other arenas that regular interaction with the boss is a matter of workload, structure and personality wherever you are.

Also, there is only one qualified librarian at a time here, so there isn't anyone to be my library mentor who isn't my boss too.

What we do have here is a fabulous team who work together, encourage and support each other through the ups and downs of life in a Further Education Learning and Skills Centre. For example, that is the third name my particular place of work has had since I started here, as we change to reflect the changing use of information by our users and also to accommodate the change in politics, fashion and dare I say vision (blurggh) of the management of the College as a whole.

You really need your colleagues at times like these, and I value and appreciate the input and encouragement the rest of the team have given me over the years.

In an ideal world I would have a big-sister mentor, supportive and critical at the same time; ready to say 'get real' where necessary and 'get your finger out' too. I wonder could I be my own mentor?

No comments:

Post a Comment